lost drivers license ca aaa|Obtaining a Social Security Number or NYS ID

lost drivers license ca aaa|Obtaining a Social Security Number or NYS ID

Obtaining a Social Security Number or NYS ID


  Social Security Card
The Social Security Administration (SSA) has a policy that social security numbers are issued to F-1 international students for the purposes of employment only. Therefore students must show employment authorization when applying for a social security number. Students can obtain work authorization for On-Campus Employment, Curricular Practical Training (CPT), and Optional Practical Training (OPT).

  Students who obtain employment on-campus must receive a social security letter from a Designated School Official (DSO) and a dated letter on department letterhead indicating the student’s name, nature of job, start date, number of hours per week, employer contact information indicating the name of the student’s immediate supervisor with original signature, title and phone number, as well as the Employer Identification Number (EIN).

  Students should remember to take:

  • a letter from the DSO to the Social Security Administration & on-campus employment offer letter, or;

  • a SEVIS I-20 with CPT authorization, or;

  • an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) issued for OPT, and;

  • Original immigration documents (Form I-20, passport, visa, I-94)

  Please note that F-1 students who have been offered on-campus employment must wait at least 15 days after entering the U.S. to submit a social security card application. The SSA office may take between 2 to 4 weeks to process the social security application and to send an official social security card to students.

  Below are the Social Security Card Centers in NYC:

  Manhattan Social Security Card Center

  123 William Street, 3rd Floor

  New York, NY 10038

  Monday to Friday: 7:00am to 4:00pm

  Brooklyn Social Security Card Center

  154 Pierrepont Street, 6th Floor

  Brooklyn, NY 11201

  Monday to Friday: 7:00am to 4:00pm

  Bronx Social Security Card Center

  820 Concourse Village West, 2nd Floor

  Bronx, NY 10451

  Monday to Friday: 7:00am to 4:00pm

  Queens Social Security Card Center

  155-10 Jamaica Avenue, 2nd Floor

  Jamaica, NY 11432

  Monday to Friday: 7:00am to 4:00pm

  Staten Island Social Security Card Center

  1510 Hylan Boulevard, 2nd Floor

  Staten Island, New York 10305

  Mon, Tue, Thur, Fri: 9:00am to 3:00pm • Wed: 9:00am to 12:00pm


  Staten Island Social Security Card Center

  2389 Richmond Avenue

  Staten Island, New York 10314

  Mon, Tue, Thur, Fri: 9:00am to 3:00pm • Wed: 9:00am to 12:00pm

  Office hours for all locations may change. Visit here for additional Card Center locations. For further social security information related to international students visit here.

  NYS ID/Driver’s License
Students can obtain more information about getting a New York State ID card or driver’s license by visiting the NYS Department of Motor Vehicle website. If you do not reside in NYS, visit the department of motor vehicle website for that state.

  Non-Driver State Photo ID
In New York State, students must provide various documents which may include the following:

  1. a valid passport with your visa and Form I-94 indicating F-1 status and Form I-20

  2. a U.S. Social Security card or a non-eligibility letter from the Social Security Administration

  3. a U.S. college photo ID card and an academic transcript

  4. a bank card and/or bank statement

  Please visit the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) for more information. An F-1 international student seeking to get a State ID card or a driver’s license other than NYS should apply to the department of motor vehicles office in the state where they reside.